Eyelash extensions are individual strands of faux mink that you apply on your natural eyelashes (carefully).
You may add individual strands equally on the lashes or add more strands in areas where you need to fill the space.
Glue for Eyelash Extensions
The glue that we use to put eyelash extensions has more bonding strength than strip lash glue.
We don’t recommend you apply lash extension glue on the skin because it aggressively holds on to the skin. You apply for individual lash extensions directly on your natural lashes.
Lash extensions do not come off with make remover, water, rubbing, or pulling forcefully. Special professional glues are suitable to take off mink eyelash extensions.
Furthermore, eyelash extension adhesives last for 2 – 4 weeks.
You can use strip lash glue to apply individual lashes. But it is not recommended to use individual lash glue as a substitute for strip lash glue.
Removing the Eyelash Extension at Home – Step-by-Step Guide
Eyelash extensions usually last for several weeks. However, after some time your lash extensions start falling and lose their charm. Then you will want to get rid of them immediately. You can either go to the specialist for removing these extensions or you can also remove these lashes yourself at home.
For removing your eyelash extensions safely at home you can follow the given procedure:
- If you are wearing any makeup, then you must remove this makeup first. You can use a gentle makeup remover or two-in-one makeup remover and cleanser for this purpose. After removing the makeup thoroughly wash your face.
- Take a large bowl and fill it with steaming hot water. Then carefully place your face directly over the bowl. Afterward completely cover your head with a large towel. Do this process for almost 10 to 15 minutes. This process will help soften the glue and ease the release of the extensions.
- Then take a cotton ball or pad and dip it in oil, make remover, or eyelash glue remover. After soaking the cotton pad, gently swipe along your lash line. It will help the extensions slide right off. Repeat this step to disband the glue completely.
- Once the eyelash extensions slide off, wash your face with warm water to get rid of any excess oil.
- After removing your falsies apply a moisturizer or hydrating face oil to nurture skin and bring your natural lashes back to their original condition.
Various Techniques to Remove Eyelash Extensions
Removing eyelash extensions is not an easy task. The strong adhesive we use to stick each strand with your natural eyelashes lasts for almost five months.
However, here are some valuable tips you may follow to take off mink eyelashes without professional assistance.
All these techniques work well in loosening the lashes. Once the adhesive loses its strength, it becomes convenient for you to remove mink eyelashes.
1. Professional Glue Remover
It would help if you had a professional glue remover/gel to get off your false lashes conveniently. Regular glue removers do not allow the removal of lash extensions.
However, you need to be careful while applying the glue remover. It must not get in contact with your eyes.
You can use a cotton swab or tissue paper to apply glue remover onto the lash. Apply the liquid thoroughly and ensure your lashes get wet adequately.
Now, you may use tweezers (carefully) to remove eyelash extensions. Once you take off mink eyelashes completely, use a glue solvent to remove the glue leftovers.
After that, use a cleanser and rinse your eyes and face thoroughly with lukewarm water.
2. Eyelash Shampoo
You can also use a professional eyelash shampoo to loosen the false lash extensions.
3. How to Remove Eyelash Extensions with Vaseline
Vaseline is another excellent and safe option to remove mink eyelashes. Cover your lashes with Vaseline by using a cotton swab.
Vaseline does not only work as a moisturizer but can also be used to remove eyelash extensions. Vaseline can easily dissolve the molecules present in semi-permanent lash glue.
- After taking a face steam bath, Use a q-tip to apply a small amount of Vaseline to the glue in a swiping motion. It will gently dissolve the glue and guide to lashes off of your eye.
- Leave it for 10 – 20 minutes. Gently remove your mink eyelashes.
- You can repeat this step as needed to completely dissolve the glue.
- Then wash your face again to remove excess Vaseline and moisturize as needed.
Note: Apply Vaseline with care. It must not enter your eye.
4. Wonders of Hot Shower and Steam
A hot shower or steam may serve as a helping tool to lose/remove the eyelash extension.
Do you remember what your eyelash artist said at the time of putting the lash on?
Something like, “Avoid a hot shower and steam if you want to extend the life of your false mink lashes.”
It’s time to convert all the don’ts into dos’. Take a hot shower, or apply steam to your face (after removing the makeup).
Meanwhile, keep your eyes closed. It will loosen the lashes and also remove the hazardous dust particles from the lashes and skin.
After that, you may use your tweezers to pull the lash off.
5. Oil/Oil-Based Products
Oil-based products shorten the life of lash extensions. Your lash expert must have told you not to use an oil-based cleanser to enjoy a longer span of your dramatic look.
If you want to take off your false lashes, you may use oil-based cleansers and products.
Similarly, you can apply oil to your lash extensions. Oil weakens the adhesive strength. Consequently, the lashes fall out sooner.
Rubbing with an oily cotton ball can amazingly remove the lash extensions in no time. Also, oiling gives strength to your natural lashes.
Olive oil, castor oil, coconut oil, mineral oil, vegetable oil, and canola oil are the best choices.
Coconut oil can be used to remove eyelash extensions. Coconut and olive oil is made from toxic-free chemicals.
For removing eyelash extensions you must go for organic, extra virgin unrefined coconut oil. This oil is highest in antioxidants and other good stuff.
- You can apply coconut oil or olive oil after removing your makeup and taking a steam bath.
- You can also hold the coconut oil over the steam for a bit to turn it into a liquid for easier application.
- Then take a cotton pad and dip it in a small amount of coconut or olive oil. Then gently rub this cotton pad on your lash glue to dissolve it and remove your extensions.
- After eyelash extension removal washes your face again to remove excess oil.
6. DIY Girl
Why not give it a try?
Do It Yourself, girl!
Make your eyelash removal solution.
It’s effortless. Take warm water in a bowl. Add soap and a bit of your makeup cleanser. Apply this solution with cotton swabs onto the lashes.
Similarly, you can use this DIY solution to remove glue leftovers from your false eyelashes.
Is It Safe to Remove Eyelash Extensions at Home?
Yes, it is safe and easy to remove eyelash extensions at home. You can remove it yourself in the comfort of your own home.
Eyelash extensions are attached to natural lashes with the help of semi-permanent glue. This glue makes the removal of eyelash extensions a delicate yet feasible procedure.
However, if your eyelash extensions are attached with surgical-grade glue then you should not mess with that. For removing such lashes you must visit a professional.
How to Remove Eyelash Glue from Your Natural Lashes?
Sometimes minute residues of lash glue remain on your natural lashes after removing eyelash extensions. You can use the following things to remove this lash glue.
1. Baby Oil
- For removing lash glue take a cotton swab and put some baby oil on it and apply this swab to your lashes.
- Avoid using so much baby oil as it can get into your eyes.
- Then, take a clean mascara wand for rolling and outward motion. In this way, the glue will be removed from your eyelashes.
2. Steam and Baby Wipes
- You can use a little more steam to remove the extra glue from your lashes.
- You can also use baby wipes to remove the residual eyelash extension glue. You must apply these wipes gently.
3. Lash Glue Remover
For faster and easier removal of eyelash extension glue, you can apply the best quality lash glue remover.
What Is the Aftercare of Eyes after Removing Eyelash Extension?
Eyelashes enhance your beauty and build up your confidence level. However, you have to be careful while using eyelashes. You must remember the following things after removing eyelashes to avoid any harm to your skin and eyes.
Things to Do
- Give a lash bath by using a cleanser. Apply this cleanser with a soft brush on your eyes.
- Gently rub the cleanser on your eyes and original lashes, and then rinse with water.
- Repeat this process 2-3 times to make sure that the glue is completely removed.
- Use a soft paper towel to dry your lashes after a lash bath.
Things Not to Do
- Don’t be harsh while cleansing your eyes.
- Don’t directly pump cleanser on your eyelashes because it can go into your eyes.
- Avoid rubbing your eyes with your hand after removing lashes because it can lead to redness of your eyes.
- Don’t ever touch your eye without washing your hands first.
Do Your Eyelash Extensions Damage Your Natural Ones?
Your natural lashes remain unharmed if eyelash extensions are applied or removed properly.
However, in some cases, people suffer from allergies due to eyelash glue. This allergy can lead to the falling of natural lashes.
So, it is not a nut to crack when it comes to removing eyelash extensions at home. You can use various liquids and techniques to loosen the bond.
All you need is patience and care. With patience, you’ll be able to remove the extensions without damaging your skin and natural lashes.